Wednesday, July 22, 2015

First Full Homestead Meal

Today was a huge win.  Knowing that everything that was on our dinner plate we grew as a family was great.  Phil asked me how it felt to be eating our hard work.  I paused, examined what I was feeling, and decided it to be normal.  As I continued to savor, I pondered why it didn't feel like the huge victory I had been anticipating.  I realized that we've been eating homegrown potatoes for years (thanks to Phil's grandparents), nibbling on garden produce as it's come in, and butchered some roosters (and a few hens thanks to our dog) since we've lived here.  So while it was totally awesome for the kids to see the end result of their efforts, there was just a comforting satisfaction of knowing that it was by God's provision that our toils produced food for the table.

roasted rooster, barbecue sauce from our cherry tomatoes, french fries (hooray for an easy to grow vegetable!), and a salad of sweet peppers, peas, and basil

No comments:

Post a Comment