Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Why I love Miss Miller


See this picture?  This captures the essence of sisterhood.  Sharing memories.  Bonding over books.  A mom can't ask for much more than that.

Most people know that we home schooled last year.  And while it was a great year, it was tough.  A firstborn teaching a firstborn who is a socialite, who are both stubborn and need to have their own way.  We ended on a sour note.  A note that haunted me, and made me think that something wasn't right.  My girl who loves books refused to read.  Even try to read.  She went from trying to complete despondency.  We were in a lockdown, and my being the teacher was ruining our relationship.  We questioned whether we were doing the right thing.  In the end we decided that since we doubting and had questions that in itself showed that home schooling wasn't working for us.
I read this and realize that I sound pat and trite.  But I don't think there are sufficient words to convey the depth of my heart.  A year later I still mourn not being her primary teacher.  

But, I have my girl back.  A girl who loves to be read to.  And who loves to read to us.  Many nights I find her reading to herself or sister by the light of the nightlight.  Not an easy task!

And so, while I am still sad that I am not the one who gets to watch her discover something new and exciting.  I get to see her love for learning and teaching renewed all because of her amazing teacher Diane Miller.

Miss Miller has more years of experience than I've been alive, and children are her life.  I am thankful for her playful attitude that keeps Abi loving school and in check.  I am amazed at all that Abi has learned under her tutelage.  And she taught my baby to read.  Currently in her short life, nothing has made me more proud than to see her go from not wanting anything to do with literacy to soaring and discovering new worlds through words on paper.

Miss Miller, even though it's been hard to let her go, your presence in Abi's life has made the transition easier for me.  I am certain that you will be remembered throughout Abi's life, as well as mine.  Thank you for your passion for children, and especially for all you have poured into my daughter.  We are most grateful for your service to our community and family.

Thank you Miss Miller :)



1 comment:

  1. I have a friend who I think has done a great job with her kids.

    One time I asked her about the schooling question. She said, "Each year, with each child, we work through what is best for them. Nothing is set in stone." She taught two of her kids at home, one went to a private Christian school, and one went to public school - and she felt very comfortable making changes for any of them to get them exactly where they needed to be. She said that her more social children really thrived around more people, and her more reserved children really thrived at home.

    I really appreciated the flexibility of her approach, and it sounds like you are doing just the same thing: carefully looking to find the best place for each child, each year.

    Love knowing what you're up to, & love to you,

    Cathy Groves

    ReplyDelete